WyoSports senior editor Robert Gagliardi offers his final Mountain West men’s basketball power rankings heading into the final week of the regular season. As always, your feedback is encouraged.
1. No. 23 New Mexico (23-5 overall, 14-2 MW: The Lobos remain No. 1 this week and owns a home win over San Diego State. However, the two teams will decide the regular-season title in San Diego on Saturday.
2. No. 10 San Diego State (25-3, 14-2): On the heels of New Mexico, but the final week of the regular season won’t be easy with a road game at UNLV and then home with New Mexico.
3. UNLV (19-10, 10-6): Went 2-0 last week and despite a close loss at Boise State, the Runnin’ Rebels jump the Broncos this week. Still never know if you will see the good UNLV or bad UNLV from game to game.
4. Boise State (19-10, 9-7): A 20-point loss at Fresno State was surprising, but the Broncos did a good job of rallying from an early deficit to win at Wyoming last week.
5. Fresno State (15-15, 8-9): Despite two teams ahead of the Bulldogs in the standings, they are still playing some good basketball, at least better than most of the teams below them.
6. Wyoming (17-12, 8-8): The Cowboys have lost three straight without junior forward Larry Nance Jr. Their margin of error was small to begin with, and just got a lot smaller. Wins will be tough to come by from here on out.
7. Nevada (13-16, 8-8): Eight conference wins is a big improvement for the Wold Pack, but the wins have been hard to come by in the second half of the conference season.
8. Colorado State (15-14, 6-10): Obviously, the Rams’ records indicates they are beatable. But nothing comes easy against this team.
9. Utah State (16-13, 6-11): Many have to be surprised where the Aggies are at.
10 Air Force (11-16, 5-11): A road win at Wyoming was nice for the Falcons, who will return virtually everyone next season. They will be better in the future.
11. San Jose State (7-21, 1-15): Like Air Force, better days will come for the Spartans.
This week’s picks (winners in bold)
San Jose State at Colorado State, 7 p.m. (Mountain West Network)
Air Force at New Mexico, 7 p.m. (ESPN3)
Nevada at Boise State, 7 p.m. (Mountain West Network)
Wyoming at Utah State, 8 p.m. (Root Sports)
San Diego State at UNLV, 9 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Boise State at Air Force, Noon (Root Sports)
Colorado State at Wyoming, 2 p.m. (Root Sports)
Fresno State at San Jose State, 8 p.m.
UNLV at Nevada, 8 p.m.
New Mexico at San Diego State, 8 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Last week: 8-2