I got this email from a loyal reader who was on the Nebraska sideline as a worker at last Saturday’s football game. This gentleman has been going to games and working games for a long time, and said War Memorial Stadium was as loud as he’s ever heard it.
Here are some of this thoughts and observations:
1. Nebraska’s players were big, but not any bigger than what we saw from Texas or TCU.
2. The Pelini brothers were all they were billed to be. Intense, emotional and swore like mad. (I never thought a complete sentence could be composed of just swear words until I stood next to them!).
3. Nebraska’s coaching staff was more worried about their defense then their offense. They were continually upset with their secondary. If Wyo would have thrown the ball more it may have been a different game.
4. Jared Crick (defensive lineman) who didn’t play was in street clothes and was still twice as large as anyone in pads. Thank God he didn’t play.
5. The Nebraska coaches were very complimentary of quite a few Wyo plays. Honestly, I was surprised by that. They voiced their approval of a number of UW players and plays.
6. When UW tried the fake punt, Nebraska had it called before it happened.
7. One of the NE players puked his guts out after a play in the first quarter and one of the coaches joking said, “He must be nervous about this game!”
8. I will never cheer or support NE for anything, but Pelini’s decision to kneel on the ball at the end of the game was a class act.
All in all I don’t think WYO has anything to hang their head about. It was just a few very stupid and untimely penalties that derailed the Pokes to start the 2nd half. Young Mr. Smith looked very poised and in control once he got over the initial nerves. My only complaint with WYO was being too conservative at times with continually trying to run the ball against those behemoths on the front line of NE defense.