Here are my Mountain West men’s basketball power rankings heading into the final week of the regular season, along with predictions on this week’s games.
As always, I would love to hear your feedback/opinions.
1. Boise State (22-7 overall, 12-4 Mountain West): Completed a regular-season sweep of San Diego State with a road win Saturday. The Broncos have won 13 of their last 14 games and will likely be the top seed at the MW Tournament.
2. San Diego State (22-7, 12-4): The Aztecs fall based on their home loss to Boise State. Still one of the best teams in the league, but must find more offense as the postseason approaches.
3. Colorado State (24-5, 11-5): Tied for third place with red-hot Utah State, and must play the Aggies on the road Saturday. Four of five losses this season have come on the road.
4. Utah State (18-10, 11-5): Aside from Boise State, the Aggies may be the best team in the MW right now as they’ve won six straight. This team can defend, has a post presence down low and has multiple guys that can shoot the ball. Watch out for them in the postseason.
5. Fresno State (14-15, 9-7): A good week for the Bulldogs with wins at Wyoming and at home against New Mexico. Don’t let the overall record fool you. This team can win and can beat anyone. A game at Boise State Saturday will be interesting.
6. Wyoming (21-8, 10-6): Even though the Cowboys are ahead of Fresno State in the league standings, they are reeling. Has lost two straight and four of their last six. They seem to have lost their identity the last week or so. They better find it soon as Utah State comes to Laramie Wednesday, and then they go to New Mexico Saturday.
7. UNLV (16-13, 7-9): The Runnin’ Rebels may have only seven healthy scholarship players right now, but those guys are pretty good. UNLV can definitely be a factor at the MW Tournament, which will be held on its home court.
8. Air Force (13-15, 6-11): Another squad that can sneak up and beat just about anyone. The Falcons have experience and when they get hot from the perimeter, look out.
9. New Mexico (14-15, 6-11): The losing streak has grown to eight games. That’s got to be tough for everyone involved in basketball-crazy Albuquerque. The Lobos host Wyoming in their only game this week on Saturday.
10. Nevada (9-19, 5-11): Escaped at home with a win over San Jose State. Junior forward AJ West is a very good player on a not-so-good team.
11. San Jose State (2-26, 0-16): One more week and the misery of this season ends.
This week’s games (predicted winners in bold)
Utah State at Wyoming, 7 p.m. MT (MW Digital Network)
Air Force at Fresno State, 8 p.m. MT (MW Digital Network)
Colorado State at Nevada, 8 p.m. MT (MW Digital Network)
Boise State at San Jose State, 8:15 p.m. MT (Root)
San Diego State at UNLV, 9 p.m. MT (CBS Sports Network)
Fresno State at Boise State, 6 p.m. MT (ESPN3)
Wyoming at New Mexico, 6 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Colorado State at Utah State, 7 p.m. MT (Root)
Nevada at San Diego State, 8 p.m. MT (CBS Sports Network)
UNLV at San Jose State, 8 p.m. MT (ESPN3)
Last week: 8-2
For the season: 53-16