Here are my Mountain West men’s basketball power rankings this week.
RPI rankings are from RealTimeRPI.com from games played through Sunday, Feb. 14. The MW fell from 11th to 12th in the RPI. Two MW teams are ranked in top 100 in the RPI, and seven are ranked between 112 and 172.
As always, your feedback is welcome and encouraged.
1. San Diego State (19-7 overall, 12-1 MW, 49 RPI): Fresno State ruined the Aztecs’ chance of running the table in the conference, and that loss dropped its RPI from 43 last week to 49. But San Diego State remains atop the rankings for another week.
2. Boise State (17-9, 8-5, 93 RPI): The Broncos move up even though they lost (although statements from the MW two days afterwards confirmed they should have won due a video error) at Colorado State and ran all over Wyoming. The Broncos could be poised to go on a run as the season comes to a close.
3. New Mexico (15-10, 8-4, 118 RPI): A road loss at Utah State dropped the Lobos one spot, but they have a chance to climb back up as they host Boise State Wednesday. There isn’t a better one-two scoring tandem the league as sophomore guard Elijah Brown and junior forward Tim Williams.
4. Nevada (15-9, 7-5, 112 RPI): An impressive week for the Wolf Pack with two wins, and a monster game by freshman forward Cameron Oliver against Fresno State with 24 rebounds.
5. Fresno State (16-9, 7-5, 117 RPI): The first team to knock of San Diego State in league play, but it lost at Nevada last Saturday. Granted, the Bulldogs were without four post players. But they are close to the top three spot.
6. UNLV (15-11, 6-7, 134 RPI): The Runnin’ Rebels won both of their games last week, but almost lost at home to San Jose State. I am a little leery of putting them this high, but they did win so some credit should be given.
7. Colorado State (14-11, 6-6, 171 RPI): The Rams should have gone 0-2 last week, but the video debacle against Boise State got them a victory. Rams are talented, but they must play better defense to move up.
8. Wyoming (12-14, 5-8, 172 RPI): The Cowboys had just one game last week, and it ran into a buzz-saw at Boise State in a 94-71 loss — the most points they’ve allowed this season in a league game.
9. Air Force (12-14, 3-10, 210 RPI): After two home wins the week before, the Falcons dropped two road games this past week. UNLV and New Mexico come to the academy this week. Will there be more home magic?
10. Utah State (12-11, 4-8, 148 RPI): Back out of the cellar after an impressive home win over New Mexico. Can this veteran team string some wins together down the home stretch? Don’t be surprised if it does.
11. San Jose State (8-17, 3-10, 296 RPI): A near win at UNLV, but a lopsided loss at New Mexico. Nothing to be ashamed of, but that still lands the Spartans back a spot this week.
This week’s games (predicted winners in bold)
UNLV at Air Force, 7:30 p.m. MT (CBS Sports Network)
Colorado State at Utah State, 7 p.m. MT (ESPN3)
Fresno State at Wyoming, 7 p.m. MT (ROOT)
Nevada at San Jose State, 8 p.m. MT (MW Network — online)
Boise State at New Mexico, 8 p.m. MT (CBS Sports Network
New Mexico at Air Force, Noon MT (ROOT)
Wyoming at Colorado State, 2 p.m. MT (MW Network — online)
Utah State at Fresno State, 5 p.m. MT (ROOT)
Nevada at UNLV, 8 p.m. MT (CBS Sports Network)
Last week: 9-1
For the season: 51-8