WyoSports senior editor Robert Gagliardi with his weekly installment of the Mountain West football power rankings and picks for Week 9 of the college football season. Look for this every week during the football season, and as always, your feedback is welcome.
1. Colorado State (6-1 overall, 2-1 MW): The Rams remain at the top having won five in a row. They are second in the MW in scoring offense (31 ppg) and scoring defense (21.4 ppg). Once again, the most complete team in the league right now. This week: vs. Wyoming, 5 p.m. MT Saturday (ROOT). The Rams should keep rolling in the 106th Border War. Colorado State 38, Wyoming 20.
2. Boise State (5-2, 3-1): The Broncos are ahead of the Rams in the Mountain Division by a half-game, and based on their win over CSU back in early September. Boise State has the league’s best offense in terms of scoring (32 ppg) and yards (485 ypg). The team also is about as healthy physically since the start of the season, so look out. This week: vs. Brigham Young, 7 p.m. MT Friday (ESPN). Boise State is 42-12 in non-Saturday games and 21-5 on Fridays. Boise State 34, BYU 17.
3. San Diego State (4-3, 2-1): The Aztecs move up two spots because they seem to have found their identity — give the football to sophomore running back Donnel Pumphrey and play good defense. The Aztecs are the only team in the league that allows fewer than 20 points per game (18.7) and Pumphrey is seventh nationally in rushing (141.3 ypg). This week: Off.
4. Utah State (4-3, 1-1): A drop of two spots after a narrow 16-13 loss at Colorado State. The Aggies lost another quarterback in Darrel Garretson, and now are down to their No. 3 guy. But the defense continues to shine and there are enough good players on the team where the quarterback won’t have to do too much … at least not this week. This week: vs. UNLV, 2 p.m. MT Saturday (ESPNews). The Aggies will ride their defense and get a handful of plays from the offense to win. Utah State 27, UNLV 13.
5. Air Force (5-2, 2-2): A narrow home win over New Mexico last week was closer than many expected, but a win is a win. The defense continues to play well. Just a solid team that no one will want to play down the stretch. This week: Off.