Here are my weekly Mountain West football power rankings heading into this week’s games.
1. Fresno State (6-1, 3-0): Remains in the top spot and remains — at this point of the season — as the most complete team in the conference. The defense has allowed one touchdown and 13 points over the last three games.
2. Utah State (6-1, 3-0): The Aggies’ prolific offense was slowed down considerably by Wyoming last week, but they found a way to win with defense and special teams. Good teams find different ways to win, especially on the road.
3. San Diego State (6-1, 3-0): Like Utah State, San Diego State has won six straight. It isn’t always pretty, unless you like good defense. The Aztecs need to clean some things up with penalties and sloppy play at times, but this team is a grinder.
4. Boise State (5-2 overall, 3-1 MW): The good Broncos showed up in hanging 56 points on Colorado State last week. When the good Broncos show up, they are tough to beat.
5. Nevada (4-4, 2-2): A significant move up — three spots — after a 40-22 road win at Hawaii. Nevada has won two straight road games. It gets a big test Saturday at home against San Diego State.
6. Air Force (3-4, 1-3): Another three-spot jump from last week. The Falcons showed some grit by going on the road and beating a reeling UNLV team last week with a backup quarterback.
7. Hawaii (6-3, 3-1): The Rainbow Warriors dropped their second straight game after a 40-22 home loss to Nevada. Perhaps this team is coming back to earth a bit, and it begins a tough two-game stretch this week at Fresno State and then at home against Utah State.
8. Colorado State (3-5, 2-2): The Rams had their modest two-game winning streak snapped at Boise State where the defense and special teams were awful. The Rams can move the ball and score, and if the other aspects of the game are even average, they can beat anyone.
9. New Mexico (3-4, 1-2): The Lobos could be on the brink of a significant losing streak. Fresno State dominated them last week in Albuquerque, and upcoming games are against Utah State, San Diego State, Air Force and Boise State.
10. UNLV (2-5, 0-3): The Rebels dropped their fourth straight game and they seem out of sorts since losing sophomore quarterback Armani Rogers to a foot injury.
11. Wyoming (2-6, 0-4): The Cowboys scored an offensive touchdown last week. Got to look for any positives in what has turned out to be a disappointing and frustrating season. UW appears to have a decision/dilemma at quarterback. The defense is solid. Maybe a rivalry game at Colorado State will get things turned around.
12. San Jose State (0-7, 0-3): The Spartans showed a lot of toughness and want-to in a 16-13 loss at San Diego State. Efforts like that will ensure this team wins at some point. It might be this week at home against UNLV.
This week’s games
Predicted winners bolded
All times MT
Wyoming at Colorado State, 8 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
New Mexico at Utah State, 2 p.m. (Facebook)
UNLV at San Jose State, 4:30 p.m. (AT&T SportsNet)
Boise State at Air Force, 5 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Hawaii at Fresno State, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)
San Diego State at Nevada, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN2/ESPNU)
Last week: 5-1
For the season: 21-10