WyoSports senior editor Robert Gagliardi with his weekly installment of the Mountain West football power rankings and picks for Week 12 of the college football season. Look for this every week during the football season, and as always, your feedback is welcome.
1. Colorado State (9-1 overall, 5-1 MW): Remains No. 1 again this week. Winners of eight straight and the only MW team ranked (23rd in the coaches poll, 25th AP). Despite its success, the Rams must win out and hope Boise State loses one of its final three games to claim the Mountain Division title. This week: Off.
2. Boise State (7-2, 5-1): A close second behind Colorado State, and is the only team to beat the Rams this season. You can make a case for the Broncos to be at the top. Leads the MW in scoring (37.7 ppg) and is second with 43 touchdowns scored. This week: vs. San Diego State, 8:15 p.m. MT Saturday (ESPNU). Boise State had trouble stopping New Mexico’s run game last week. It will be better this week. Boise St. 27, San Diego St. 16.
3. Utah State (7-3, 4-1): No matter who plays quarterback, the Aggies have speed on the edges and the league’s leading defense in scoring (19.2 ppg), rushing (96.1 ypg), turnover forced (27) and turnover margin (+13). This week: vs. New Mexico, 2 p.m. MT Saturday (ESPNews). New Mexico may get some rushing yards as it is third in the nation running the ball, but not nearly enough as the Aggies will roll. Utah State 38, New Mexico 17.
4. Air Force (7-2, 3-2): Quietly putting together a solid season, and Troy Calhoun should be a candidate for Coach of the Year in the league. The defense is rock-solid, including top 10 against the run. This week: vs. Nevada, noon MT Saturday (ROOT). One of the best match-ups of the week. Can the Falcons’ defense slow down Nevada senior quarterback Cody Fajardo? It will enough to remain unbeaten at home. Air Force 24, Nevada 20.
5. Nevada (6-3, 3-2): The favorite to win the West Division, and the only team in that division with a winning road record (3-1). This week: at Air Force, noon MT Saturday (ROOT). Should be a good game, but I got to go with the home team as the West Division race will continue to be a jumbled mess. Air Force 24, Nevada 20.